It’s tax time, and you need your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to file an accurate federal tax return. If your employer hasn’t sent you the form yet, contact them and ask for a copy. Make sure they have your correct address.
If you’re unable to get your Form W-2 from your employer, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-TAX-1040. The IRS will contact your employer or payer and request the missing form. Let them know:
- your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
- your employer’s name, address and phone number;
- the dates you worked for the employer; and
- an estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2022. You can use your final pay stub to figure these amounts.
If, after contacting the IRS, you still do not have your Form W-2, you have two choices:
- File your return by the April due date and use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. Try to estimate your wages and withholding as best you can.
- Ask for more time to file by using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S Individual Income Tax Return. You can even e-file the request.
If it turns out the information on the Form W-2 is different than you reported, you will need to file an amended tax return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to make the change.
You can visit the forms and publications web page on IRS.gov to view, download or print the tax forms you need right away. If you have any further questions, contact an Abacus Payroll advisor today!